Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Our Voices: Please, Respectfully Announce Yourself

Please, Respectfully Announce Yourself

A visually impaired person may not have peripheral vision, nor the ability to identify who is approaching them. A common courtesy is to announce yourself to a friend who is visually impaired. This announcing technique lets a low vision/non-visual person know that you are indeed a friend and that you know them. This is comforting. For it is what we cannot see that is MOST scary to us.

Approach With a Sound

If walking or jogging past me, please tell me, “Passing you on the right,” etc. It can be confusing to hear the noise of rustling leaves or jogging feet without knowing where the sound is coming from.

Please Don’t Yell

You don’t have to yell when speaking to me. I am low vision, NOT low hearing. 

Be Courteous and Kind

If you see me struggling to open the door for myself and my guide dog, please bless me with kindness and ask “May I help?” One act of kindness goes an awfully long way.

Read today’s entire Voices story at: www.leaderdog.org/blog/voice-of-the-leader-dog-community-karen

Read more about our Voices of the LDB Community initiative at: www.leaderdog.org/blog/introducing-voices-of-the-leader-dog-community

◇ Leader Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

International Guide Dog Day

Today, we celebrate the life-changing impact of guide dogs around the world. These incredible canines provide independence, mobility, and co...