Saturday, February 8, 2020

Mint The Rockstar

 It's amazing how much Mint remembers; especially when it comes to finding places. Majority of the time, she knows where we are going, better than I do.
On Thursday, I took a substitute teaching job, at a high school in Farmington. The school is small, with 70 students attending the school. I was subbing for a social studies class. The students were great with Mint. They respected my rules without question.
When it was time for the students to have their lunch, I had to use the restroom. The secretary showed me where it was on the way to the classroom. The first amazing thing she did was find the main door so that I could take her out. When we came back, I asked Mint if she knew where the bathroom was. With the wag of her tail, and a confident step, she lead me right to the bathroom. After that, she knew exactly where the classroom was and  without missing a beat. She even took me right to the desk.
The same things happened again yesterday, when I went back for the second time.
I don't know what I would do without Mint in my life. I know that I would feel completely lost.
Even though Mint and I have been together for 5 years, it is still hard for me to trust her at times; especially in unfamiliar places.  My goal this year, after working with my field rep, is to allow her to do her job, and for me to trust her completely.  .

1 comment:

International Guide Dog Day

Today, we celebrate the life-changing impact of guide dogs around the world. These incredible canines provide independence, mobility, and co...